Future of food: Crickets, Hydroponics and more (a video!)
Recently we had been invited to speak at the panel at Expand: a big event organised by Engadget in New York. Topic? The Future of Food!
It has been an incredible experience and we wanted to share with you a video from the event.
We shared a panel with a company called Exo. Led by Greg Sewitz, Exo is working on protein bars made out of crickets. Its been a great chat about problems faced by our current food system, alternative food sources and the importance of local food production. We had a good laugh too!
You can read up on a pre-panel interview right here: Five Questions Answered About the Future of Food (do share, every Tweet and post helps)
In the video though, we dig deep into the challenges we are facing with our current food system and how unsustainable it is.
Here is some info mentioned in the panel:
- By 2050 there will be 9 billion people on Earth
- 80% of those people will live in cities
- If we carry on with current production methods, we will need a land of the size of South America to feed the 9 billion people by 2050
- Our food system is responsible for 30% of greenhouse gases and the highest contributor to deforestation
- 33% of global warming is attributed to the food system
- Within 24 hours from being picked, lettuce loses half of its nutrients and vitamins
- If Only 10% of our food would be grown locally we can radically slow down climate change
There is a lot more. Its already well understood that things have to change. We believe in empowering individuals to drive that revolution of taking control of what we eat, what its in it and grow locally. By making growing fun, easy and affordable, we want to pave the way for smart garden appliances to become a part of our kitchens and daily lives sooner than we think.
We want to thank you for being a part of it.
I would love to hear your comments and thoughts on the topic!
Also, we made some awesome progress on the product side and we very excited to share that with you in a few days. Keep your eyes out for an email!
And here is the video. Enjoy!